Vodpod videos no longer available.
Rionero is located in the northern part of Basilicata and is part of the province of Potenza.
It is located 656 meters above sea level. It has a territory entirely mountainous and hilly why rises on the eastern slopes of Mount Vulture. This mountain with its seven peaks, compared from someone with the seven musical notes, is the background to the landscape and overlooking the two lakes Monticchio and its vegetation is the homeof a big butterfly night exists today only in Asia: the BRAMEA. The name reveals the location of the volcanic hills. Its climate is hard during the winter and mild in the other seasons.
Is 49 km from Potenza, the capital can be reached by the railway, by bus or by car following the highway.
The urban structure has suffered over 60 years, significant changes. They occurred because of natural events that led the authorities to adopt new regulations in order to build the homes.
The earthquakes of 1930 and 1980 caused serious damage and the restructuring under way and those showing the most beautiful.
The oldest monuments are the Mother Church, which has a Baroque facade and the bell tower of the Romanesque style and the church of St. Anthony is the oldest and was built in Gothic style. Other churches in this country are: SSSacramento church, Church of SSAnnunziata. The schools are: the infant school, divided into four buildings, the primary school, high school education, science high school, the school State Art Institute.
The business of the city is predominantly agricultural and industrial . The cultivation of the vine, oil and wheat are the most important crops, but also has a good pasture production.
After the earthquake of 1980 are lots of industries such as Fiat, the Barilla, industries sofas, and other small industries that are here to help the FIAT.
The economy of the city is based on craft, trade and tertiary private or official, and some farming ‘more mechanized than in the past.
In the municipality there is the presence of mineral water springs sour or acid-ferraginose being exploited by plants in expanding both production and employment.
Tourism, despite the nature of the beautiful and unspoiled lakes Monticchio, fails to take off.
The origin of the name
No one knows the precise origin of the name, it is assumed that the name derives from “Rivus Niger (black stream) from the stream that ran through country in the origin . The waters of the river were almost black color, because it reflected the surrounding vegetation and that passed between the lands Pozzolanic black.
But a Legend:
on the banks of the river a peasant plowed taking his plow an ox white and one black. Since the latter did not follow more patiently working seems that the farmer to encourage him with stimulus to have said: “Ar niur” (Ara nigro). Hence the name of the place.
It will be a legend, but it is certain that even today in rionerese we say “Ar niur” talking about Rionero other words, “the ar niur of peasant.
The village of Rionero was formed before by pastors from Puglia and a colony of Greeks and Albanians then Napoletani. On his rise Rionero had more than a “house” of the land of Atella, but since then promised well for its air and its abundant spring waters.
At the end of 1600 the inhabitants of the “House” were not more than 500 and now that climbed to 3045 in 1735 and in 1752 was 9000. It ‘must remember that the Albanians living on the slopes of Vulture long lived with the greek rite, until in 1627 when the bishop of Melfi was able to bend with the Latin rite. Meanwhile, the Albanians of Rionero took a few coal miners, teachers coopers, where generation after generation had finished with the influence on morals and traditions of the Albanian language and require the Italian. Therefore Rionero was never bilingual.
Towards the end of 1700 Rionero was one of the most populated centers in the province of Potenza, in fact, had 10,000 inhabitants. They had occupied the entire bottom and the shores of Walloon coating of buildings, some with portals valuable and said that still say the style and magnificence of that era.
We remember the portal of the building in Via Garibaldi Fortunato, the portal of the Palace on the road Valanzani called “Canucci” Fieramosca hours away, the majestic palace in Granada area of the Dead.
Just around 1700 took many lords dwelling owned by rich families who came out.
Among the many families who have emigrated to Rionero in 1700 remember the Fortunato, the Granata, Giannattasio, Catena, Baron, Corona, Ciasca much later and in 1800 took the family dwelling Pierro whose parent was Luca Pierro.
The houses of these gentlemen still testify the greatness and prosperity of Rionero “House.”
The current building Fortunato now is library and place for exhibitions, performances and it’s subject to constraint of Cultural Heritage, now fully open to anyone who wants read here
Some useful liks to know more Rionero in Vulture